View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

On the skin biopsy, you can not determine what nerve fibers are affected just by symptoms. They stain those biopsies as well as count fibers.

I had a professor of neurology and pathology read mine. They also stained it for amyloid, counted Langerhan's cells, sudomotor innervation etc. I am not sure about what technician they are referring to. Medical technologists (at least a bachelor's degree level) may prepare the slides, but reading and interpretation is a pathology level function, usually an MD. Things may be a bit different in Australia, as your educational system may be more specific,as they are in Europe.

Clinical diagnosis is important, but to get to the molecular level of what is causing the symptoms of any neuropathy, it is good to know what kind of neuropathy you are dealing with, C fiber, thinly myelinated or myelinated. While all the small fiber or 'sensory' neuropathies have a lot of symptoms and suffering in common, not all people are affected with the autonomic component....and some people have motor involvement, and some people have sensory involvement with perfectly intact motor nerves, yet have movement disorders and movement disabilities.....the causes are endless.

I have found autonomic neuropathy is a lifestyle. You look good, so no one sees what you are dealing with, until you go on Dancing With the Stars. (Aussie-don't consider it...I can tell you it is off my list of to dos).

I think Marie Osmond needs a new doc, perhaps one who knows something about autonomic neuropathy.

Your doc does seem to know what you are dealing with. That is very good.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote