View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Mattresses - the good bad and strange?

I have been mattress shopping for ages now. I am finding a lot of differences from when I purchased one over 15 years ago...Time for a new one? Yes. BUTTTT....these pillow top things are soo high off the ground! Getting in or out could require a forklift or a great deal of awkwardness. I have a platform bed, so do not need a box spring...but measuring all these pillow top types I am finding that a plain 'mattress' could add an extra 4-6" to the bed level from, um ground level? I 'tried' a Temper type mattress last week. It was a very 'deep' piece of something wrapped in 'fabric'. I first sat on the edge, and well, got a real sense of almost vertigo...one definite SINKING feeling! I reclined on my side on this floor sample.. and after about 45 seconds of SINKING I wangled up somehow and got out....Remember that phrase: 'Deep Valley Bed'? That is what I felt like, that or quicksand!

Extensive reading is telling me that either the sleep number types or the tempers... are that a person's gonna either love it or hate it! I am seriously considering on sending my DHusband to check into various hotels that offer these beds for a nite's check out. Considering their costs [the beds that is] this is a good one night stand way to find out if it's even worth one of those 'trials'-- 30 days for one, longer for another.

Right now I have that 3-4" topper, and it's a sort of love/hate relationship...It 'migrates' over the mattress, it can be either super warm or cold to me and a can't scoot about on top of it...to get comfy.

Feedback from one and all would not only help me, but folks like Billye who is truly miserable right now. Speak up folks? thanks - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote