View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 12:17 AM
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default Hi Evon

The genetic form of Parkin is different from Young onset PD. The primary symptom is dystonia rather than tremors. 50% of Young onset patients test positive for at least one parkin mutation. You may want to consider contacting Athenea Diagnostics to inquire about the possibility of if you have a gene mutation. Also with genetic mutations, lewey bodies are not a problem, however iron deposits in inappropriate parts of the brain are. Also, in idiopathic Parkinsonism, loss of smell for some reason is an early sign. This is not true for genetic linked PD. Also the gene form causes more damage in the part of the subthalimus that effects emotions, therefore Parkin mutations cause more depression, paranoid feelings, anxiety and panick attacks.

They are currently recruiting patients for NINDS Gene Project. You could go that route to hopefully have a free genetic test, but you will have to sign away your right to know the results of the test. I had a private one done prior to becoming a part of a genetic study so I know my results. Knowing the results gives me an edge on knowing the best decisions to live the best quality life I am able. I read several studies that said DBS stimulation was particularly helpful to those with dystonia. Another sign is an acute sensitivity to levadopa therapy for those with mutations in their Parkin gene.

If you are unsure of your diagnosis you may want to insist on an FDOPA PET Scan at Mount Zion in New York or Los Angeles University in California. Both of these university hospitals have excellant reputations for reading the results accurately. Even Movement Disorder Physicians are not very forthcoming with these options. Some Physicians still hold to the old bioethic that unless the test will change the treatment of the patient, the test is unnecisary. The peace of mind of the patient by confirming the diagnosis is considered inconsequential.

Best of luck,
Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote