View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for all your input. It's wonderful!

Sorry about my seeming denseness when it comes to all the testing for CD.....I'm also battling this terrible fatigue and it takes longer for everything to sink in. If you were to spout at me, terms like 17-hydroxyprogesterone, 17- hydroxypregnenolone, androstenedione, 21-hydroxylase deficiency, aldosterone etc. ad infinitum they are like second skin to me and I could talk about them for hours......but IgA's and tTG's, I'm still trying to get my head around!

So.....if this home test (as I mentioned earlier in this thread), tests for IgA antibodies to transglutaminase and if I happened to be IgA negative, you are suggesting that this test may not be sufficient enough to erase CD from the equation because of the 10% or so of CD people who are IgA deficient?

Can you humour me and please tick the boxes for me here if you will. If a CD person is IgA deficient they:

1). would have low levels of IgA <7 (anyone know the unit of measurement?)

2). may have elevated levels of IgG

3). would have negative tTg's

4). I'm stuck on what the EMA levels could/would be!!

5). A stool test may uncover CD if there is GI involvement

Am I correct in interpreting M Hadjivassiliou, R A Grünewald, G A B Davies-Jones's finding (posted below in Cara's post) that where there are neurological manifestations then these diagnostic markers may be negative....and are they also suggesting that the newly found DQ1 genetic marker may be more indicative of people with neurological, as opposed to gastrointestinal symptoms.

I'll get it one day - I hope. I suppose I am studying each possibility of cause for PN in as much depth as I can because I very much believe (as Cyclelops said on the PN board) ..." I don't like taking potshots at diseases when the technology exists to arrive at a solid quantifiable diagnosis."
Megan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote