View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 07:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, Deb, I get kinda confused about days - I mean, for example, by next Thurs., do you mean Nov. 1 or Nov. 8? I'm asking because it's better, I'm thinking, if your ESI will be on the 8; it gives you more prep. time. Nothing to be scared about in terms of planning, and you'll see what I mean...

First, any risks (and, of course there are always risks with any procedure) can be greatly minimized by:

#1) Following your doctor's/nurse's pre-op instructions to the letter. Someone - either your doctor, a PA (physician's assistant) or nurse - should be going over those instructions with you, and also give you them in writing.

#2) Only consent to the prodecure (ESI) if done under fluoroscope. That's another term for live-guided x-ray or the use of a C-Arm. It enables the doctor to place the needle where intended and do the procedure in a targetted manner - as opposed to taking a wild guess about where the needle will land (and taking the "oh, let's guess; this is about right" approach is also dangerous). No matter how experienced or skilled a doctor, that approach can lead to mistakes. There is absolutely no reason for any doctor to do the procedure "blindly" (akin to hit-and-miss). You're not a pin cushion.

#3) Have a candid discussion with your doctor respective of the risks. Low as those may be, just let the doc know you would like to know what they are. Without knowing, you will be consenting to a procedure without truly offering "informed consent."

#4) Drink plenty of water the day leading up until the time your fasting is supposed to start. It can help lessen the possibility or severity of a headache following. It's not a guarantee that you will or will not get a headache. Some people do, but many also do not. (I haven't and I've had a number of ESIs, etc.) Hydration - with water - really helps.

#5) I would not return to work right away. As a fact, my doctor insists that patients do not for at least a day. Each of his patients must agree to it or he will not do any procedure.

#6) Ask you doctor now about medications and any OTCs (over the counter) medications that should not be taken for several hours, for instance aspirin, or days before your ESI. Even if it's a vitamin you might be taking daily, make sure your doc or the nurse knows about it.

#7) Write down any/all allergies you have to medications.

#8) Ask how many hours in advance you will need to fast.

Now, for the prep.:

Avoid negativity, as much as possible starting now... I mean, if there are people who are downers in your life, and you don't have to be around them or speak with them before your day, I would do so. The same focus is better spent on keeping your spirits as high or positive as possible. People tend to do better when happier.

I would also surround myself with other positive influences, such as what I listen to or watch (radio, TV, movies, reading materials) - and for at least 2 days beforehand.

I also make sure to eat comforting foods a couple of days prior - such as pasta with a light sauce (rather than a tomato-based sauce). Before the fast, I also make sure the food will digest more easily. I avoid things such as Mexican food and rich foods. I can always have those afterward .

Be sure to have some easy-to-prepare foods on-hand in case you may not feel like doing much during the time of your recovery.

Set up an area, too, for when you're recovering - make it comfortable for yourself (pillows, TV, bottled water or containers of whatever you may want to drink).

Before starting the fast, I eat a peppermint. It's good for the tummy and any upset. Plus, it's natural .

Wear loose, easy to put-on clothing, such as items that either slip or pull-on. Make it easy on yourself for when you get dressed. I also wear sandals. Mine have velcro so they just slip right on. Nurses don't want to have to struggle with someone's clothing when assisting.

Even if it's not very bright outdoors, I take sunglasses with me. At times, my eyes are photosensitive and I just don't want light in my eyes, particularly after having been consciously-sedated. I also take a blanket with me... in case it's too cold (even with the heat on) in the vehicle during the ride home.

In addition, I don't know how your doc. may do things, so I can only go by what I know, and how my doctor does things.

No driver? No procedure. He will cancel on-the-spot if he does not see the person who is responsible for driving. He requires it of all of his patients. The driver must also sign a form - after a nurse goes over the post-op instructions.

The worst thing I've seen people do before procedures? Eat and lie about it. It is important to fast at the time the doc says to begin. No one enjoys hearing another throw up.

If you need or want to know anything else, don't hesitate to ask. Someone will surely come along and offer ideas, etc.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it later.

I'd just do my best to keep all things in perspective. Not everyone has a horror story to share and not everyone experiences things the same. The risks can be minimized, as I said. Everyone is unique, but risks are known and you'd be doing yourself a huge favor to get the accurate info. from your doc. or a nurse.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote