View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 12:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You really need to ask your doc (or a professional from his office) how he does the ESIs. It does differ among doctors.

Mine does conscious-sedation (with Versed or such). What that means is: A patient isn't fully conscious but is in a dream-like state. You won't remember what was done (for the evocative stuff the doc does during the procedure to be certain the precise area is targetted) but you also will not be so far out of it that you can't think following; thinking is still believed impaired due to the use of the medication. It puts a patient in a relaxed state so that a patient doesn't jerk or make movements that can cause the needle to jam somewhere it doesn't belong.

Please go in with the mind that it could help relieve some of your pain. Mental attitude going in will factor into the outcome... just because that's how things happen.

I honestly didn't think anything, short of surgery, would help when I had my first epidural. Heck, I couldn't even find anyone (who I know off the Net) who ever heard of such a thing being done - other than for childbirth.

My first one was for occipital neuralgia (severe headaches every day) and my hand being clawed (locked in a fist-like position), which took several hours to "work" loose each day. My arm felt as if it was burning, at times, numb at others, and like it was fractured, but... it was all from my spine.

But... the ESIs definitely helped - a lot.

Only time will tell if yours is effective. I hope that you will give yours the benefit of some time.

For some people, it can take several days. For others, the relief is felt immediately.

You might also feel a temporary worsening of symptoms. Those symptoms should not persist, though, any longer than a week or so. Another thing you might experience (for a day or a few) is, insomnia. But, that, too, will pass with time.

Depending on how you feel afterward, you may be able to go to work on Saturday. But, I usually take about 3 days before I'm able to resume regular activity.

I'd be sure to have ice pack / wraps on-hand afterward, as well. Not saying you'll need them, but it's always best to be prepared. For me, ice helps with nerve pain.

If you have someone who can help you for a couple days afterward, super. If not, just a thought: Maybe your Mom could. You might be kinda wobbly and want the help and the company.

Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to rest.

Please don't push yourself too hard too fast. You will want a full recovery, which also improves the chances for positive effects from the ESI.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote