View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 05:51 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi Ada,

First, the doc’s office called today and I’m scheduled to begin the trial on the 9th; the nurse couldn’t tell me whether it would be outpatient or I will be admitted, which w.c. won’t like at all. My doc said he wants me in the hospital during the trial because my weight is so low, but he may not get his way. I’ll find out before I go in.

I absolutely don’t need to worry about my doc dumping me; he’s a neurosurgeon and they don’t keep patients for long; especially when the pt refuses surgery, but he’s been my doc for 11 years. I went to see him after a wc whore (a neurosurgeon) wrote a report saying I was not only faking my current injuries but had faked disability following the two botched spine surgeries in 1979; my doc knew I needed a n.s. of his stature to refute the lies, so he kept me as a patient.

I kinda stuck it to him later on, making it part of the wc settlement agreement that they must pay for anything he prescribes and if they refuse to pay, they have to pay for my atty even if we lose. I became a Chinese obligation, but my doc says he doesn’t mind.

Any n.s. who sticks with a pt when all he is doing is medication management is not going to bail out after his patient starts getting better.

Ali,

you’re right that I should have gotten the pump years ago, but my doc told me then that even though he was sure the risk was minimal, the scar tissue and damage the first surgeon did had changed things in exactly the same spot where the catheter would be placed, and that increases the chance that something can go wrong. Things went wrong in both of my back surgeries, so even minimal risk seems huge to me.

I’d probably continue with oxycodone, but I’ve reached the point where I need to take one every two hours, and that causes severe sleep deprivation. I can’t remember the last time I slept more than 3-1/2 hours, and that doesn’t give me enough REM sleep; even if I sleep 12 hours a day. If I take Xanax to sleep longer I wake up with a terrible drug hangover and severe pain that takes hours to resolve.

I reached the point where I have to do something, and the pump seems to be the answer, despite the risk. So, I’m hopeful, but frightened…Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :

Last edited by Vicc; 11-01-2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: fix something
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote