View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 06:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, cyclelops, you are right about requirements such as those for MS. I have a friend with a mild case who doesn't even need meds, and I have a friend who nearly died a couple of weeks ago from it. And I know people with Sjogren's and fibromyalgia and neuropathy who work (although they are constantly on the verge of being fired because of having to take too many sick days).

But Social Security has a Blue Book which very clearly lists the criteria for disability for a variety of ailments. They are in the process of adding Sjogren's syndrome as a category. And you can always qualify if you have multiple disorders that, when viewed as a whole, add up to an inability to work (which is how I'm listed at present).

And Social Security by law must consider the effect of chronic pain and severe autoiummune fatigue on the ability to work. Those are very well documented in my case. But the LTD company calls those "self reported" symptoms and a basis for termination of benefits (although I hear that this contractual clause has successfully been challenged in court).

I do agree that I'm gonna have a fight on my hands when Social Security reviews me, which could be anytime now. But my main objective there is to prove to them that I my medical conditions have not improved, which I have documented as recently as June of this year. Their own consultative medical examiner told them that I was disabled, so they would have to prove some sort of fraud was involved in order to overturn their original decision, which I suppose is still possible (but I hope not likely).

I would give just about anything to be able to go back to work, to be the master of my own financial destiny. But what employer is gonna hire someone who is so fatigued she dozes off at her desk, who is so brain fogged she forgets the simplest tasks, who must run to the restroom once an hour, who yelps in pain whenever the lightning bolt of neuropathy hits? I went through every reasonable accommodation my last job could provide, including special lighting, erognomic seating, ergonomic keyboard and mouse, stands to hold paperwork at eye level, electric staplers, etc.

Don't get me started on the war vets. It is disgraceful the way they are treated (or should I say not treated) sometimes. And even when the VA rates them 100 percent disabled, Social Security still denies them benefits!

Did you ever figure out what neurological condition you do have? There are so many possibilities that it really is bewildering.

I will be doing as much research as my brain can handle.

fanfaire