View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 12:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

LAA--good thread. thank you.

I have hypermobility. I've had knee injuries, the first in high school for which I had a successful surgery. My tendons were shortened surgically and I don't think they lengthened much since then. However I was told to avoid overstretching the knee. The other knee was injured in my early 20's but I was able to avoid surgery by waiting it out on crutches and later strengthening the surrounding muscles. I have to work to keep my knee muscles strong to compensate. I know the hypermobility has contributed to more easily getting a LOT of repetitive strain injuries. When my neck was injured I rode a stationery bike a lot and I caused an RSI from that. When keyboarding or doing other repetitive tasks I gotten things like tendonitus... When I exercised aerobically aggressively even in the water I caused RSIs in several body parts. (I am a slow learner and am always pushing to get stronger. Over-pushing is not good for me.)

When I had neck surgery I had a discussion about this w/the very smart neuro-surgeon who informed me that my spine WAS NOT hypermobile; only my extremities. I want you to know that my knees are fine and if I keep all my muscles strong I reduce the likelihood of injuries due to hypermobility. I Love yoga but for me stretching can cause problems unless I am really strong. So I must be very aware of my body and how I use it. My hypermobility is something I can work with when I pay attention. Unfortunately right now with TOS I am not in good shape so I am not able to stretch my upper body as I would like. But I do hope to return to a strengthening program, soon for my lower body and if and when I recover enough from TOS surgery, I really hope to get my upper body strong again. For me hypermobility is just another thing I have to work around. It's not something I lose sleep over.

I would like to read some of the studies above and any add'l ones you find. btw-I spent a lot of time wondering if my shoulder was injured and how it related to the TOS. It just seemed injured but it was all TOS. In the end it matters only what I do about treating and respecting and listening to my body. I was told by my old Feldenkreis practitioner that I could never ever again afford not to pay attention to my body. That teaching has really sunk in now and helps me tremendously. Good luck to you.

Last edited by fern; 11-02-2007 at 01:03 AM.
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote