Thread: Bad Fall
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Cathie? This isn't how it should be....

BUT how it is.... Last year I fell in the house fractured a knee cap once going down, another way trying to get up! Year before was worse and entailed an overnite hospital stay [YICH!] But that time I had put a good dent in my head which was NOT detected by the EMT's the ER folks or anyone...I still think I've 'gravel pebbles' in there which will likely be found on my 'next' MRI? I don't know if you remember but last fall...late about late November? I was asking Rose and Mrs D a whole lot of questions about the Calcium, Vitamin-D, Magnesium connection. One thing I had learned at that point was that the 'anti-seizure' meds and other pain meds we take are notorious for bone loss. These meds that are supposed to 'help' us come at a substantial cost, for sure!
Then there was my Early winter-spring encounters with the Endocrinologist...I had NO recordable Vit-D, Calcium or Magnesium levels in the tests that the endo had ordered...I MEAN NONE! And I was taking a really good multi-vite and calcium tabs...Many. THEN there were the results of the 'autoimmune' thyroid tests...they were very high...but not like others I have encountered on this board or others..However, scary enough to almost put one into a panic.
As for any FRACTURE? I hope you called your doc and got instructions? For me it was YES a Friday and spent 6+hours in an ER 'outpatient' pod....one where they 'immobilized the knee' and sent me home...I was lucky to see the Orthopod [tho with difficulty and some funny moments?] and got the real skinny as to treatment...mainly MORE pain Pills and more x-rays, and a scrip for a wheelchair that I used for more than the 60 days allowed.
Most important was that I called ALL relevant docs and really LET THEM KNOW WHAT had happened! I knew the end result would be "Not Much" But I was sure it got on record ASAP...I have to tell you that it wasn't until the 3week mark that the second fracture showed up. Some/many/most hairlines do not so up until CALCIUM in the healing starts to show up really...IN THE CRACKS. Soo, I guess from my own experiences, chomp down all them thar calcium chews that you can? I know that at least they taste good....tho there are times when I just go WHAT?! Another fruitcake PILL! Enough already!
It was the re-learning of the 'bedpan' that was the hardest really tho...It seems to be something we truly would rather forget...Cannot IMGAINE WHY?

That all is beyond humbling...those who can walk and have not had this experience cannot relate AT ALL! However, we recover, re-learn, forget, and stubbornly proceed on. After all, what are the options? Give up? Who of us has an available 'person' to wait on us endlessly?

Hang in there good person! We know you have the spunk and that this is just one big whomp in the gut...so to speak. When you are up and about next, it's just gonna be a bit slower and more cautious. HUGS 's - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote