View Single Post
Old 11-02-2007, 07:15 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hello, NTLegend,

I disagree with the apparent tone of your post:

I'm not a Pharma fan; their very public campaign providing free meds to people who can't afford them has little to do with helping poor people and a lot to do with pre-empting discussion ot the exorbitant profits they make at the expense of everyone: They point at the bus and tells us they have a heart.

Montel is in business to make money, and in his business he needs people to like him, so appearing on these commercials help convince his audience he has a heart and hopefully adds to his audience base. And he gets paid for doing the commercials.

The problem isn't "everyone else pays for the free meds they're giving away", but that everyone is paying too much for those meds. The cost of this campaign wouldn't add much to the price of the drugs or take much from their profits, but it does help some people survive, and I'm uncomfortable with even the suggestion that helping someone survive might be wrong.

I won't veer too far into politics, but I will say that the voters can elect politicians who at least talk about taxing corporations at the same rate as individuals. As someone who believes the government should help its citizens survive disease and disability, the additional revenue from fair taxes on corporations would help more people than Pharma is doing.

We may agree: Bah humbug on Montel. And especially bah humbug on Big Pharma, but I suspect our reasons for saying it differ.

Pharma may have a less generous motive than helping people, but some people are helped...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :

Last edited by Vicc; 11-02-2007 at 07:30 PM. Reason: to edit
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote