View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 02:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My understanding is that hypermobile people generally have overly elastic connective tissue so that ordinary activities that put "normal" pressure on the joints cause us problems - from hyperextending (actually bending PAST the normal position) to subluxating (having the joint come partially dislocated). The more frequently these happen, the more severe the hypermobility, I believe. And nerve entrapment is fairly common among people who are very hypermobile - some are pretty disabled.

I don't have the website bookmarked anymore, but if you do a google search, there's a good UK site for the Hypermobility Foundation or something similar to that, with a LOT of good information, as well as discussion boards.

I think the rheumy is a Dr of choice because it is a genetic disorder, and similar in ways but also opposite to arthritis, if you can make any sense of what I'm trying to say, LOL!

Both of my girls are the same way unfortunately, the ankles, the hips, the jaw, the fingers, somethings always getting bent too far or is out of place. My youngest seems to be the worst, don't know if this is actually the case or if she just hasn't learned to guard herself at all - seems to happen a lot at school, though she has her fair share of problems at home too! Keep telling her I'm going to put her in full body pads!

If you find the website, it will amaze you how much those with serious hypermobility are dealing with the same problems we are - and they are told by the top research Dr NOT to get shots of any kind, as they are at risk for adverse reactions! This is a UK site, I haven't found anything as informational on a US site. I may try to get a follow-up appt with my geneticist early next year and see if they can tell me any more than they knew in 2004.

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote