View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 03:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Tam,

I think you and Towelhorse are saying the same thing - but not understanding each other. The Q and A you provided, in the A, should have stated, "just indicates the patient CAN'T take a deep breath", IMO. If you have to work really hard to get a breath (think blowing up a balloon) your lungs likely will become hyper inflated, cause they aren't working efficiently - a normal intake of oxygen doesn't do enough for you anymore.

I know I've had this experience - and yes, I smoke, but I've never had shortness of breath from it, not noticeably anyway - and I used to work with 3 & 4 yr olds who really kept me moving! It's that "idiosynchric" (sp?) breathing pattern, or whatever they call it, it seems we all are affected by this, my Feldenkreis instructor in Denver pointed it out to me after surgery in 2004. I still do it when I'm not focused on breathing from my diaphragm, and using ALL of my lungs. You feel like you're gasping for air. I think it's almost a guarding action, to keep from hurting more in the chest area we subconsciously alter our breathing pattern - just a thought.

YOU, my dear, may be a whole different story - because you've been bedridden so much!! I know in nursing homes they turn patients every so often to prevent bed sores, but is that also to prevent lung problems like you've developed? Can you ask your home aide? It can't be beneficial to lay in bed for so long, make sure you are propped or the head of the bed is raised by placing some boards under the top legs.

Have you had any sleep apnea testing done? Maybe when you come out of one of those horrible flares and then sleep 2-3 days to recover, you're not taking in oxygen efficiently enough while you sleep. A CPAP might be helpful (if you aren't already using one). This is something you could talk to your Dr about over the phone, and he could RX and they would bring to you Tam, I'm pretty sure.

We could probably all benefit from raising the heads of our beds - but mine's an 800-lb waterbed so not an option. One of the first things I'll do if my case ever settles is to replace it with either a Memory Foam or Sleep Number Bed. Some day. Some year. Hopefully this decade.

If I can find it again, I saw an article that referred to this changed breathing pattern - but I've got to clean up, take girls to get some things for colder weather (whimper), and then meet dh and in-laws for dinner. Oh boy, the mall. Don't you love my enthusiasm, LOL!

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote