Old 11-03-2007, 09:01 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Donations bringing home terminally ill woman from Vietnam
Sandra McCulloch, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, November 03, 2007

A terminally ill Victoria woman will be home from a Vietnamese hospital before Christmas, so she can die surrounded by her family.

Ngo Huynh's trip, involving specialized equipment and an accompanying doctor, was made possible after a flood of donations reached $57,000.

"I'm so happy, I can barely sleep right now," said Johnny Huynh, Ngo's elated husband, from his Saanich home. "I can't wait to go over there and pick her up."

Ngo Huynh is suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also called Lou Gehrig's disease.

The 39-year-old mother of three young sons is suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS, also called Lou Gehrig's disease. The disease is fatal and progressive, and caused by degeneration of nerve cells in the central nervous system.

She was diagnosed in August 2006 and travelled to Vietnam in April, along with her family, to say good-bye to relatives and explore options for palliative care. But Ngo's condition worsened during the flight and upon arrival, Johnny took her to hospital, where she was put on a ventilator.

Johnny and the three boys returned home to Saanich in September, anguished at having to leave Ngo behind.

Johnny couldn't wait to phone his wife this week and tell her that due to the public's generosity, she could be coming home within weeks.

"Even though she cannot talk, she sounded so happy," said Johnny, adding his wife even laughed.

"Her condition right now is that she's almost paralyzed but her brain still functions and emotionally she's still OK."

A fundraising drive was administered by Terry Edwards, principal of Northridge elementary school, where the Huynh boys attend classes.

"I've never done anything like this before," said Edwards. "We went out to the Greater Victoria area and boom, it was done. It's truly marvellous and we are just thrilled for the family."

Several anonymous donors gave $5,000 each, said Edwards, calling the overall response heartwarming.

Doctors say Ngo is well enough to fly home and Johnny is now co-ordinating the complicated services she'll need on the flight. A Hong Kong doctor with specialized equipment will accompany Ngo, he said.

"She will be here before Christmas, that's for sure."

He credits the Times Colonist coverage of his family's plight for the generous donations to a trust fund in the family's name at Coast Capital Savings Credit Union.

Johnny has depleted his bank account paying for Ngo's care and taking care of the boys. He sold the camera equipment he'd used previously to earn a living as a portrait and wedding photographer, and recently made the decision to apply for social assistance. When he told his story, the woman interviewing him was moved to tears.

But at least he can look forward to his family being reunited.

"We know for sure there's no cure for my wife. But let's have her die with her family here, instead of with no one she knows over there."
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimesc...f7542a&k=32710

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote