Thread: SCS questions
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 11:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

So far so good! Had a few "technical difficulties, like the absent anesthetist who was scheduled for back-to-back cases - first case started 45 mins late and ran into a lot of unforeseen difficulty, then I was given the "go" signal, taken to the OR, on the table and everyone ready to go, but no anesthetist We got underway almost 2 hours late, I spent the delay sitting in a wheelchair chatting with the OR nurse; I was NOT leaving that room til the procedure was done!

Dr had a hard time getting the leads in - no room to get in to the midline like he wanted (there's no sensation there, so no pain after), and he had to go in higher than usual to get good coverage, so if/when I get the permanent implant, the scar will be visible if I wear a boatline or other low-neck top. Just one more to add to my collection I said

But we did get complete coverage from fingertips to shouldertops, plus underarms and some scap relief, so I am thrilled! And it seems to be masking the pain like it's designed to do, I went to the first half of a football game tonight, wore gloves naturally, but my hands did not get painful and turn icy cold even though it got quite chilly sitting there. I'm impressed!

Worst part is painful neck due to having to hang it over the edge of the operating table to make it easier for Dr to get in between the vertebrae. I have chronic triggerpoints in the neck due to TOS, so the neck is screaming, and there's pain from the incision for the leads since he couldn't insert them right in the midline, had to go in from the side. 3 extra-strength Tylenol didn't do a thing, so I'm hoping Valium will cut me some slack

But the pain from the procedure should be gone in a day or two, and if the SCS continues to work for me through the weekend like it is now, I think I can call it a success I get the trial out on Monday, from then I wd only have to wait abt 2 1/2 weeks til surgery for the permanent implant.

Thanks for the prayers, please keep them coming! Jewells, I'm impressed with this unit too, it seems to have a lot of advantages over the Medtronics system, I'm not familiar with the ANS. My husband is really wowed at how sophisticated this technology is though, and he's not easily impressed. I just like the fact that my Dr is so happy with it, he does lots of SCS implants and has nothing but good things to say about the Advanced Bionics stimulator. It's always great to hear positive experiences from someone who's actually had a procedure versus the Dr's viewpoint though!

AJSG mom, I wish the SCS had been the answer for your daughter, so her journey could have ended, but I have also read that if the TENS didn't work the SCS probably won't Will pray for you both that the pain pump IS the answer, and the wait for that is short.

The Bionic Woman
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote