View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up

Hyland Reflects

His friends and family have known for months and today, with his blessing, we are letting the rest of you know.

One of Moose Jaw's favorite sons, Gary Hyland, is currently battling a disease called amyotrophic lateral sceloris or ALS, commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

In a soft and raspy voice, Hyland spoke with us about his condition. "My case is advancing about four times normal speed. Normally a person with this disease will live three to five years but I can't make one year but that's the way it goes."

Hyland has been a very busy man all of his life. Between his teaching career, his poetry and books, and of course his involvement in the local cultural community. That zest for life continues now more than ever.

"I've got about six books that I'd like to get out. Two of them are near fruition, one is coming out in February and one in the fall but there's four more that I'd like to write including one about this disease and how it affects the patient."

Hyland has been a driving force in the local arts community for many years receiving many awards and letters of recognition. Its tough to think of Moose Jaw without this amazing man but he stays positive, knowing he has made a difference.

"I have to value the Order of Canada, next to that I'd say the Citizen of the Year for Moose Jaw. I won that twice and I'm very proud of that. I'm very proud of the Cultural Centre but I didn't do that alone of course. I was the organizer but I had lots of help so I would think that's probably the most lasting thing that I worked on."

For some, finding out you have terminal disease would leave you bitter and cold, but not Gary.

"There's times when I get sad but mostly I view it as just luck of the draw. Some people get this disease and some don't. We all have to die some way so this is my way."

http://www.discovermoosejaw.com/inde...722&Itemid=235

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote