Thread: I'm Lost
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 12:01 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

((((((Leah)))))) <<-- those are HUGS!!

Oh, yeah -- visual migraines -- pain in the "A".

Mine weren't as bad as yours. I could still drive.

I had them for almost 10 years before they converted to 'regular' migraines (with pain). I now get 'regular' migraines about 4 times a year. Sleep and Excedrin Migraine usually takes care of it.

I used to sometimes feel l like I was bending over when I was standing up. The weirdest darn thing.

I couldn't stand the news crawl on the bottom of the television. Couldn't stand a commuter rail or a subway train or a bus moving across my field of vision -- I got real dizzy and felt like I was going to fall over. I was finally able to take the black duct tape off my TV. Very rarely something will move across my field of vision and I'll to close my eyes. And there are still some TV commercials that I can't watch because they move too fast.

My ophthalmologist is the one that discovered my problem. The only thing that he did for me (no medications) was slowly wean me from all caffeine.

I do now use caffeine -- Diet Cherry Coke -- I'm keeping them in business But, for all the time that I didn't use it, not having it in my system seemed to help.

Do you wear glasses?? If you do, make sure that the prescription is exactly accurate.

I know I'm not much help. Just wanted to let you know that someone read your words and understands.

I DO think it's a good idea to get off ALL the caffeine and see if that helps. Make sure your glasses are correct if you wear any.

You know, Leah, I love to do research (I'm good at it too). There's something in the deep, dark recesses of The Moose's mind about wearing a special kind of filtering glasses. I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it. If I find it again, I'll let you know.

Oh, if you do wear eyeglasses, find out about getting anti-reflective coating on them. That might cut down on the halos that you see at night.

Can you think of when this started?? You said you're a Mom. Did it start after delivery of a child?? Some think migraines are related to hormone levels. It might be worth a trial of a month or two on birth control to see if it stops the symptoms. But, then, you have all the other associated issues with taking that type of drug.

Oh, you might want to keep a food diary and see if you're eating anything 'chemical' like aspartame/MSG before one of these episodes.

Do you use a computer a lot?? Do fluorescent lights bother you??

Oh, one more thing: did they do an EEG?? http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/66/4/536

Hugs.

Barb

PS: If I can find that thing that I saw about the filter, I'll post it.
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote