View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 04:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Trinab,

First I want to apologize if "I" assumed you were a man. And, YES, you have tried everything. So, see, there is more going on than mere muscle spasms and I thought so. No surgeon that I know of would EVER operate unless there was something really major going on. So, yes, I personally believe you are doing the right thing by having an ACDF.

Okay, both you and Kelly are talking about the C6/C7. I have issues there as well and it might be next. But you know what? If it gets bad REAL, I am going forth...that will make 3 fusions. And, yes, I have worried about the domino affect before myself. But as my NS says, it is NOT ALWAYS true that other levels will go...even though logically it would make sense that they would. But it has been since 2003 and 2006 and they are holding their own. I do think it is just a matter of time. But for now it is mainly facet stuff going on (medial branch nerves). But what is a person to do? You just CANNOT let the neurological deficits get to you as there is no going back if there is permanent nerve damage.

As of this morning I had facet injections at the C2/C3 (have facet degeneration on the left and an osteophyte complex on the right. As my PM says too...the C3/C4 fusion is causing the C2/C3 to compensate. But I knew this a LONG time ago before having anything done. So, if the facet injections take care of the occipital pain, I will have an RF done next.

I won't lie and sugar coat everything and say it is a walk in the park. It isn't. The surgery itself both times was just fine...no problems there. It is the spasms either shortly thereafter or later on that is what really hurts. But, hey, Valium kicks them out. Honestly, I was up and walking within hours of both surgeries and felt fine. When you both start to recover and after a period of time, the docs will have you stretch. They should give you a booklet that shows which ones to do.

Anyway, there is just no easy way around any of it. My BIGGEST thing was...I don't want to lose use of my arms and the headache pain was unreal...not like any migraine I have ever had. They termed them cervicogenic headaches and those killed me for about 3 years. So, I do NOT regret the fusions at all. Sure, I have residual pain and sometimes I can feel it in my index fingers (C6/C7) but I am really much, much better than I was back in 2003. Back then I just wanted someone to take my head off!

Oh, and Kelly, ask about the weight lifting later on. After your surgery they will NOT want you lifting more than 5 lbs. at first, then maybe 10. But again, and I will be honest, I am NEVER to lift any more than 20 lbs. for the rest of my life. But remember too, my whole cervical spine is affected...not just one level. What I do is use thera bands, go to massage therapy, get injections from time to time and just stretch in a hot shower.

I wish the both of you much luck. And you are right...keep your chin up so to speak and carry on. I think a positive outlook is the best thing you can have right now. It is scary but I am glad I had them! Living the way I was was pure he##! At least now, even though I have some residual pain and have to limit some activities, the aches and pains went from a 10, and no I am not lying a definite 10, and dropped to maybe 3...sometimes 0.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote