Thread: "Headaches"
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 12:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-head View Post
I was just reading over the POST-CONCUSSION SYNDROME MANUAL, in particular the part where he tries to assure you that headaches are not caused by brain injury, but rather from muscle tension, when it occurred to me that I simply use the term "headache" because it's the closest word equivalent for what I sometimes experience. There were the traditional headaches, sure, but that was just the beginning.

If I really think about it, I realize that an entire world of different head "discomforts" was opened up to me after my concussion. I had never realized there was such variety in all the ways your head could feel, or more accurately, feel crappily.

Sometimes it just feels like a "sensation" in my head. It's not painful or irritating particularly, it's just like my brain (or consciousness even) is just slightly agitated by something.

I have these weird pressure sensations too, and what's really weird is they will sometimes slightly throb (becoming more or less "tight"), or even drift from one area of my head to another, like a pressure cloud. Normal headaches don't seem to have nearly this degree of localization. Occasionally this fluctuation will occur on a long time scale, but sometimes it occurs on the scale of seconds or minutes. I was talking to someone the other day, and I literally felt my head get "heavy" and "tight" within a few seconds.

That's just the beginning, and if you want to include feelings of dizziness and visual blurriness, there is even more variety.

Do you guys ever swing your head around too fast, or get up from a chair too quickly, and get a weird feeling like your head is having to catch up with your body?

Anyway, reading that manual over just made me realize how difficult it is to describe a lot of this stuff, particularly while you are experiencing it!

I know that exact feeling. In fact, about 2 nights ago, I got up to pick up one of my kitties, and as soon as I stood up, I had to sit back down! I thought the whole room was spinning!!!
LadyLuna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote