Thread: Trigeminal pain
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Hon:

Meet your new best friend. I've had TMJ for years. Started with my grinding my teeth since I'm a baby. My aunt once said "Oh my god, the noise that comes out of your mouth, when you sleep at night". Of course I had no idea what the heck she was talking about.

I can't open my mouth too wide. I never know when it's going to "hit me".

I can completely forget it, I can do a big yawn, (oh, my jaw doesn't lock or remain open, it just has these clicking sounds). A dentist even told me the exact name of this noise when the clicking occurs, but darn, if I can remember it.

The hinge under my ear, well it gets sore, once in a great while. As long as I don't open my mouth too wide, (I don't ever do this).

I get a TMJ (that's what I call it), once in a great while when I bite down on something and I haven't been paying attention to how I bite down on something, well, believe me, it gets your attention. It's like a lightening bolt of pain near your ears.

I just rub it, and apply warm compresses whenever this happens.

You can also get one of those night guards that you place into your mouth (either by prescription), or get a cheap one that you place in hot water, place it in your mouth and you mold it to your teeth, and it hardens and you sleep with it at night.

If I could remember to do that, I'd do it, but I know me, if I don't use my sleep apnea machine, I'm not going to be putting any night-time mouth guards in.

So just use warm compresses, and don't open your mouth too wide.

Also, when you next see your dentist, tell him what happened. He'll advise you better than me.

Take care,
Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote