View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 01:10 PM
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member
Heart

Thanks Alffe

I attended a few protests during the Univ. of IL "Chief Illiniwek" fiasco. I was a little amazed I held up so well. One time I stood for hours in subzero weather with the downtown Chicago wind blasting us. Another time I spent the night outdoors sitting in a chair with temps only in the 30s and a painfully broken tooth after eating a hamburger earlier in the day.

It worked because I kicked into "mother" mode. Yeah, it took a lot out of me physically and emotionally. I was pretty sick afterwards, but it was worth it to me to make sure my friends were safe. No one was harmed, and no one was arrested.

When another friend protested the 2004 Outkast "Hey Ya" Grammy performance, I desperately wanted to join him. I offered, but he knows of my illness and found it inappropriate to ask me to travel to MN and stand for any length of time. During the protest he was attacked by security guards, beaten and thrown in jail. A frail man in his 70s was also beaten. The local newspapers claimed my friend and his group were "hostile." THAT took more out of me than standing in windy subzero weather or sitting out in the cold all night long.

I REFUSE to let the same thing happen to my friend in OK, but I know better. If I can make it there, all I can do is try. If they want to get at her, they're going to have to go through me first!
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote