View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 06:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

((((((Deb)))))),

I've had epidurals done -- both cervical and lumbar.

They only used the fluoroscope one time. And this is a major teaching hospital in Boston.

The ones that they do in my neck always work. Thanks be to G-d.

The only one that's ever worked in my lumbar region is the one that was done with the fluoroscope. It lasted close to 18 months I consider that one of my *life miracles*. It was so bless-ed to not feel that horrible pain.

I have the same concerns that you do. How the heck can they tell what they're doing without the fluoroscope. I have weird architecture in the lumbar area -- some of my facet joints are fusing to my pelvis and I also have a hemangioma. I wonder what would happen if they ever hit the hemangioma

The last time I had both neck and back epidurals -- one late spring and the other in early summer, I knew they wouldn't use the fluoroscope in my neck -- I just wanted pain relief. I specifically made the appointment to use the fluoroscope in the lumbar region. The doctor had no assistants (other than the nurse) and he just did the procedure ...

a waste of the steroids. I didn't even get the relief that you get from the anesthetic. I got no pain relief at all. I didn't even get the steroid rage that I usually get -- which makes me think the dang thing went off into spinal limbo somewhere (and I ain't talking about no dance ).

I can only get three injections per year. That means that I only have one left for two areas There should be a place in 7734 for doctors that don't use the safest procedures available.

I agree with everyone else. The thoracic area is very complicated. They have no idea what you're like internally in that area because they've never used the fluoroscope (at least I had one prior one to tell him where to do). I wouldn't let him touch me.

They get $1,000 for doing each one of these things. Some of these doctors are just needle jockeys -- they pass out the injection and go on to the next one.

Don't let him touch you. If he's a competent, intelligent doctor, he will listen to your concerns and use the fluoroscope (after all, he can get more money for doing it fluoroscopically).

BIG HUGS. I hope you get you pain relief. I hope you get your miracle.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote