View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 02:09 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree with Peppermint in the fact that meds-- especially seizure meds, often take longer than one month to work AND some meds ( such as Lamictal ) can take much longer than a month or even 6 weeks for a person to titrate onto them---much less see signifigant results. It took me 5.5 months to titrate onto Lamictal; about 6 weeks to reach my initial goal dose of Keppra (and after we stayed there for about 6 weeks, we decided to double my dose over a period of another 6 weeks), 3 weeks to titrate up onto Neurontin and well, I think you get the picture (and those are just my current meds--I've had E for 14 years and have been on variety more ). That is not to say you won't be able to see some benefits from the medication before you hit your target dose, but you might not be able to see full benefit.....

So, Seeing that you have already been on so many meds considering the fact that you have only been diagnosed for a year is a bit much. To further explain that, with meds you will often see some initial side effects that will pass with time--- and "time" meaning up to several weeks or longer. It can also take a while to figure out exactly what dose is best too.....

My opinion in that regard is that you probably need to give the meds some longer time to see the most benefits with the least amount of side effects.

I think another one of the things Peppermint was trying to get at in her question about age/gender, is that for some women (not all, but some), their seizures tend to increase (or perhaps its the only time they occur) at certain points in there cycle --- its commonly known as catamenial seizures. Different doctors have different strategies for dealing with this....

Keep you chin up-- so much of epilepsy and treatment is trial and error and it may take more than one medication or type of treatment (I am currently on a combination of 2 seizure meds and then another med for nerve pain that is also used as a seizure med). I know this is frustrating-- but you can do this and get through things .

Hang in there !
L2L
love2laugh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote