View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 07:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle_ii View Post
I have problems digesting fructose and I've yet to see a digestive enzyme that has the ability to break this down (no fructase). Any ideas?

What's strange is that most sugars maldigest. Fructose being one (I can eat in small quantities at a time) and the obvious lactose (which I don't really care about since I don't do dairy). Some other sugars seem to bug me in large quantities as well.
I was reading recently that the enzyme to digest fructose is produced by the tips of the villi, near the end. I already knew that the enzyme to digest lactose is produced by the very tips of the villi. What this means is that when you're on a gluten-free diet, as your villi grow back, when healing is nearly complete you may well regain the ability to digest fructose, and then when healing is complete you may regain the ability to diget lactose.

I knew about the lactose, but I didn't know that fructose was next in line right before lactose. I thought that was interesting.

Note that my source was a random person on an e-mail list that I'm on. She's a very accurate person who is always right about everything, so I didn't check up on what she was saying. But still, I'd consider this information "probably reliable but not fully confirmed."

-Valerie
valeriemates is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote