View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 04:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ali,

My pups are fine.

The one thing I wanted to mention about crates...

First, my Vet is a firm believer in them for SEVERAL reasons. And, just like babies when put into their cribs, they might cry a bit. You just have to let them whimper a bit. It may sound cruel...but do NOT go back to the crate UNLESS it goes on for quite awhile. I allowed my own about 5-10 minutes maybe even a bit longer. The older pup has ALWAYS loved his crate; went into the night I bought him LOL! But I always made crate training fun...kind made it into a playplen...and ALWAYS a small puppy treat and a soft chew toy. The youngest one doesn't quite like it but will go in. He might cry for just a bit...but that's it he quickly settles down. I have to do it this way since my husband travels a lot and I need my own rest. So, they know...once they do their business for the night and put in their crates and lights out...that's it.

The thing is and I had to learn this hard way several years ago. They simply know how to manipulate and get their own way LOL! And, yep, I had accidents of the potty kind ALL the time...because I wasn't using the crate as OFTEN as I should have. I knew better this time around...so once out of the crate...it is outside. This can take a few weeks as Shih Tzus are one of the most stubborn dogs to train...and that is a fact. Actually, when my Vet first told me to do this I thought it was the most cruel thing I had ever heard of and I refused to use a crate. But I was WRONG I eventually had to get two of them! And I shouldn't have been so concerned then either...because as the Vet said...they will view them as dens. And they did! I think the key is just in making it fun.

Mrs. D had some good suggestions to. My pups have a ton of toys because my husband spoils them.

But two of their favorites are ones that are soft, plush houses and have birds or squirrels in them. They spend hours trying to get those things out. So, yes, keeping their minds and body busy is important.

Other than that we just had a fence installed so that they can run and play whenever they want to. We didn't have that before so this is making life much easier on me and more fun for them.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote