View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 04:43 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

No Mrs. I didn't know prednisone depletes nutrients. i don't know if i am defficient to any. I haven't done any blood work regarding to nutrients. Just vitamin b levels a year ago, which came out normal, but, you never know, it can be just one of those tests that are not done properly or that consider normal what in reality is low. I decided to take methyl b12 by myself because i figured out, all by reading the posts here in the forum and the links attached, that i could be deficient in this vitamin becacuse i present the following symptoms: nerve abnormalities (peripheral neuropathy), i was often tired and i needed many hours of sleep to feel moderatly awake during the day. An other symptom i related to b12 deficiency is that i have no moons on my nails, just in the thumbs and they are little and my nails also present a blueish, purplish, greyish color, both in fingers and toes. The neuro even once said, before i knew this whole b12 defficiency: oh Monica, your nails are so dark!, I was worryed and so was my mom, i compared my nails to hers and mine looked dark whereas hers looked pink. Two months later when i had the next appointment with him i asked him what that meant and hi said, literally, it’s nothing, don’t worry…. Then I consulted another neuro, who is my current neuro, he is a nice man, he is intelligent, my appointments with him are long, he checks me patiently and caringly. He is a nice man. Unfortunately, i don’t think he is informed about vitamin b12 deficiency. When i asked him about the reason of the color of my nails he said: I don’t know. Now i think this may be due to b12 deficiency, there are also bumps in my nails, so i present many b12 deficiency symptoms. Was it a good decision to take b12?? I am considering telling my neuro about b12, i am sure he would be open to this but i don’t want to sound all savy in front of him, because i am not, and don’t want it to look as if i were questioning him. I told him i was taking vitamin b, he never asked what type or if i was taking b12 in its methyl form.He just said "yes it is ok to take b vitamin for a couple of months". That was all he said reganrding to vitamins. I don’t even know if he’s aware of all this b12 issue. Sholuld i tell him???

Now, Mrs. D, thank you for worrying about my vitamin levels. As i said, i didn`t take any supplements while on prednisone. So far i have just taken methyl b12, i will start with the rest. Should i add any other??? My nutriologist is a bit opposed to me using supplements. I think she has some kind of prejudice against them, becuse they are usually sold by people who are not doctors. Because of the comments she’s said, i think she, and doctors in general, feel threatened by this approach, because, they think: how in the World is a person who sells supplements going to know more than me, who’s spent years in the university???? They are right, they know more thatn the average person, but they are dogmatic and stubborn and don’t want to explore other things. So going back to my nutriologist, she insists on the idea that i shouldn’t take supplements because i have received a lot of substances. I decided to go gluten free and she supported me on that. But she said i need to purify my body. I of course don’t agree with that idea. I think my body should be purified, but not from the things that can benefit me. So according to me and to what my common sense tells me i should take supplements, because i need them, my nerves need them to heal. Now the thing is that generally in my city doctors are reluctant to prescribing supplements. So i need orientation on that. Thank you Mrs for all the information you have given me and all the people who have read this post. Now if you can give me some more.

I don’t know, like Daniella, how to take the omega 3. I don’t know if i am defficient. Is it abosolutely necessary to get lab tests?? I thought i could just try them, and the other supplements, for a while and if they don’t work stop using them. But in case i am not deficient or too deficient, could i be harmed by taking them??? I don’t want to do all the blood work because it is time and money consuming and results are not even reliable, but if you beleive it is necessary, otherwise i could be “over vitaminized” and therefore harmed, then i would do them.

An other question, how long alter starting methyl b12 should i be seeing my moons coming back?

Thank you for reading me
Monica de Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote