View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 04:31 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I can't think of many options myself. Except maybe a career/job where I can sit at home in my recliner while using a headset for phone work. Voice activated computer work I think would be too much for me. So all I can think of is some kind of order taker (yuck), tech support or other phone advisor (need to learn the trade), or as a friend's brother once jokingly suggested-a sex counselor (hee, hee, --I'd have to be trained to learn the appropriate responses and such) but I recently saw a TV documentary with Linda Love and she's got the industry locked-up; she said the "counselors" used to earn a lot but now are lucky if they make minimum wage. For those of you who know a 2nd language, apparantly there is a lot of work for counselors in foreign countries. You work from home and the 900 calls come to you from various countries so no travel benefits.

I make light of this sbuject but it is something I have a tremendous amount of grief over--the ability to have a meaningful career and the ability to be self sufficient financially.

btw-the rsi support groups have published lists of ideas. If I come across mine I will post. And Voc Rehab counselors have lists too. Some ideas that come to mind are voice-over talent (unless U develop rsi of the voice/throat as many do). An optometrist store assistant--the person who recommends glasses and sells and fits them. Also selling tickets or subscriptions to anything; it could be something kinda meaningful like soliciting memberships to the Sierra Club or the Symphony. One may make a few bucks if there are commissions or bonuses but these jobs don't pay a prof. wage that would allow us to have treatments like massage or chiro. Another is working at a store that sells ergonomic products to people w/bad backs, necks, etc. It would be fun to do ergonomic evals but I think that is too much a stretch for my physcial abilities. One person I came across returned to school to become a psychologist, realizing that she needed a career where she could sit and talk. But I think it would be tough to get through the schooling and also to fill out forms , etc. nec. for insurance cos.

Maybe we can start a list of ideas that someone in the forum could pull together.

Last edited by fern; 11-10-2007 at 12:32 AM.
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote