View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 05:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

JAMY,

I'm responding because I think I can relate to your question. I had TOS surgery - rib resection in 8/05. Since that surgery I have developed RSD in my surgery side and is now moving to my other arm.

It's funny. When I read your post, I was thinking the exact opposite. I am forced to work FT or I will lose my house. So, if I had the option of being at home, I could focus more on taking care of myself instead of taking care of everyone else. My husband is wonderful - involved - and supportive. So, he makes me stop doing things at home if he feels it's too much. I was on the floor picking up dog toy stuffing and he told me to get up off the floor. I am blessed in that regard.

My job is FT - I'm an assistant to two Directors at a major company. I am at the computer (I can still type about 60 wpm - down from 90), but I have the option of standing/sitting with the touch of a button. I have a restriction from my doctor to not push, pull, carry more than 5 lbs. My job does not keep me chained to my desk. I can walk/deep breath twice daily to try to keep the pain down. I park in the handicaped parking that my company provides so I'm not out in the cold for long. I try not to do anything repetitious. No amount of lifting my arms up either.

I am on the strongest medications that I can handle while working. But, to be honest, I'm limited. Because I can't be at home, there were many medications I couldn't take. I cannot wear a shirt on my surgery arm without a lidocaine patch. The sensitivity is horrible.

When I come home, I don't do much. I haven't made dinner in months (except something very easy), I don't do housework either. Very, very little. At this point, I can't do anything else. I went for a walk last weekend - about 6 blocks and that put me down for 2 days because of the pain. It's very hard for me to do anything at all on the weekends. I try to help my husband with the shopping, but most times it's too much.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if that's all you do is work, atleast for me, that's about all I can do. It's very much a give and take.
dealingwithtos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote