View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 07:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Weighing in on this one

Had to see my rheumatologist today. My sweet husband picked up a viral upper respriatory infection and three days later I got it. Today, running temp. So I called the rheumie who is also my pcp. He had my husband bring me in immediately. And you guessed it. Infection in the bronchial tubes. I'm not going to do any sinus rinsess while this is going on. I'm afraid of infecting my equipment with this bug. He gave me musinex with codiene because I can't quit coughing and I'm not getting any sleep. And the dreaded antibiotic quinolone. I took it with extreme fear tonight. I don't need any more neuropathy. But it is a short course. Only a week I think. And finally, Lasic for all the fluid I'm collecting in my legs and feet. He's very sparing of anything that will dry me more. He's only letting me take one tablet every other day. And told me to eat bananas every day while I"m taking it. Because of the high dose methotrexate, I am prone to catching everything that is around and it is serious stuff for me.

I don't know why the fluid is collecting. But when I took my socks off last night, my feet were bright red and so hot. You could see all the creases in them from the socks. Are the diabetic socks you all talk about at Walmart bigger?

Liza Jane, I don't think the sinus rinses when you have an active infection are really a good idea. You infect everything you are using in your nose. I remember when I had the first sinus surgery. I wanted to give my own blood to use if it was needed. They told me no, because I had an infection and could easily re-infect myself. I'm thinking the sinus rinses are a little like using my own blood. I could re-infect myself.

I use rinses once in awhile when I am really dry and I do it only to lubricate. But...I only do it once a day and maybe every three days. But I never do it when I have an infection.

Billye