View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Antonina?

With all you have been through that your neuropathy[ies] are not worse is amazing! I have been on my own 'cancer trip' [and TRIP it is for a short while compared to yours].
Both rads and chemo's can and DO affect the nervous and immune systems...In the last 3 months I have been reading research papers that are now referring to cancer as an 'auto-immune disease'. I can only go HUH? or DUH? as the situation deems apt. As the cancer cells mimic normal cells and by pass normal immune systems. Then, the chemo and rads treatments kill what immune system one has and well a new mess occurs? Follow-up therapies are referred to as just that: Follow-UP. But it is a continuation of a chemo of sorts.
As for your situation? I just webbed up: Chemotherapy+neuropathy and found a few good sites....I tried Radiation Therapy+Neuropathy and only found references to issues of the optic nerve...
From personal experiences I know of many people who have had extensive chemo and suffer from neuropathies as a result. Chemo really IS an insult to your whole systems and can affect it in ways most docs aren't up to date on yet. My own Onco is also a Hematologist and that has worked very well for me as she is keen to my pre-existing autoimmune aspects which involve neuropathy and has been keeping an eye out for new wrinkles in the whole post-surgery life. A dual Onco/Hema may be the person to get an opinion from before doing the whole Mayo or Hopkins route. Some Onco's aren't really 'up-to-date' about it all. Sadly. It is like experiences most of us have with neuros -lump it, nothing we can do. Unh naw! Rethink this issue?
I live not too far from Hopkins and almost went there, but two other very good [not the rated best, but VG] teaching hospitals are even closer-I got an appt at one -then the total barrage of tests [for neuropathy issues, cancer was found 2years after the PN]. The good thing about getting the testing locally is you can pace yourself for the MRI's, Blood work, X-rays etc...to your own abilities. I was ready at that point tho - to go and have the whole smear done at once!? It all is a trade off you have to make and decide on. The difference is to me, finding one-ONE good doc who really listens to you and understands-actually TWO good docs made absolutely all the difference.
I will PM you about these issues soon. I will have to get permission from a non-board member, a friend of mine from here who goes to NYC frequently for clinical trials and had gotten excellent testing etc from folks there regarding the PN... Differing viewpoints are always useful. Have you checked out various cancer boards about 'neuropathy'? I know that bc.org has lots of references to the issue and has done a lot of good research about it, but it's not the only resource. I hope this helps you. I know it doesn't make it hurt any less! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote