View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Being a WC case I was instructed to see a WC referred doctor after about a month of my doctor failing to understand what was going on. He said right off the hop CRPS but kind of dropped it until I had the results from an MRI and Nerve conduction. MRI and Nerve conduction showed nothing. The Doctor that did the nerve conduction said to be careful of PT and not to let them over do things. He also said before the test that he was positive it was CRPS. He told me, just because you have a headache doesn't mean you have a tumor and that not all things may appear to be what they are. He wants to see me again in 6 months if I haven't responded well enough to the treatment plan I am subjected to between now and then. Nice man.

So, anyway. I got the diagnosis and sort of treatment plan from this doctor but I don't get to see him again. The only thing he has done is try to make a referral to a GP, Chronic Pain doctor or Neurologist otherwise there is no further involvement on his part. His original recommendations were CRPS, put on gabapentin and do functional assessment. He hasn't even seen me since things became more consistent and wide spread.

Now I do 20 min on inclined bike, and stretching exercises. I got one treatment with the TENS unit. I also saw the psychologist. He said I have a pretty good attitude towards getting through this and I was asked to try hypnosis to see if it would work to help me sleep a little better and learn to relax a bit. He did say that he doesn't usually have success with CRPS patients in helping them reduce their pain. So we are going for relaxation and sleep. I'm okay with that. I also told him what I was being told by my PTs and wasn't too happy with the program that has been set up for me despite the fact that I would do what I was told until I am told by a real doctor to do otherwise or suck it up and continue on. I did tell him that my symptoms have gotten a lot worse, that I didn't know what was going on and that I was concerned my RSD had spread (prior to PT), that PT was making it worse or in the least aggrivating it. I did tell my PTs what I was experiencing and they said CRPS doesn't spread, your symptoms don't even sound like CRPS, "maybe you just have a slow healing time", "I've had patients a lot worse off than you", whatever is going on with the rest of you is not related to your original injury so it is up to you to deal with that, etc. The psychologist simply said, have you seen a doctor about this. I told him the long winded story about trying to get a referral to a knowledgeable doctor. He said, well are the PTs doctors? No. So, what do they know? Furthermore, until you have seen a doctor about any of this no one should be giving it a diagnosis. It should be what it is, additional pain and is real for you and a hinderance to your progress. He seemed okay but in the end I wasn't too crazy about him.....

As you can see PT is a sore point with me. I keep telling them that if I didn't have the pain I do, everything else would be a breaze and I would be back at work. Just help me get over the pain so I can get my work boots on and do my job. Unfortunately, that was prior to my wrists getting so bad and the rest of me burning all the time. The past two days wasn't too bad because I was so drugged up but then it just seems to come back soo much worse when the drugs wear off. Like today, I layed down for a nap and when I woke up I could feel my whole body burning, even my nose and lips felt strange. Movement just irritated it more. It is all so strange because I can touch my arms or stomache and ya it is uncomfortable but if either the hand is left there or when it is removed, it is all kind of delayed in response, I then start to feel like a cold heat. That is if it is a light or mild touch. If I squeeze, I get a burning which turns into a throbbing ache and then more deep burning....I am using my arms as an example. My face just feels strange, kinda numb.

Does anyone else get muscle tension or muscle pulses? I am being told that is just because I am not used to all that physical activity, that I have just been inactive for too long now. Granted I have gained 20lbs in the past month, I think that is why I have to do the inclined bike for so long and so often. It is marked down in my PT program. After seeing that doctor at the hospital this week they have also written down that other areas seem to be a problem for me. I think that is coming from my Case Manager. She is working really hard for me to get me the best care possible. She knows I am running on a timeline and that mine seems to be out of wack with the norm. It is nice to have people on your side that have the ability to make things happen. It also helps to persuade me to do the things that she says are necessary for me to keep my claim going smooth.

Anyway....tell me more about you guys.....J
Kyzyl363 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote