View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 01:03 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi Sandra,

I have a dx of arachnoiditis and this article sure talks spot-on about what happened to me.

It followed a 2nd laminectomy, made necessary when the surgeon punctured the dura and failed to close the leak. One week after the 1st surgery I was getting ready for discharge and when I showered I noticed a puffy area below my incision. The nurse examined it, called the doc, and I was back in surgery the following Monday. And he screwed up again!

Unable to find the puncture, he grafted a bit of muscle to the dura (the same way we used to patch inner-tubes). That piece of muscle created enough pressure on the dura to result in it rubbing against the arachnoid, eventually resulting in scar tissue forming on it.

I have many of the symptoms listed in this article, and nothing has helped me. My doc told me the pump would help with this pain, and I trust him, but it is nice to read that someone else says the pump will help.

I'm saving this article because it puts a medical imprimatur to what I try to tell people. It is rarer than RSD: There was an arachnoiditis forum at BrainTalk, but people rarely dropped in, and nearly all of those who posted developed the disorder as the result of injection of contrast dyes for MRIs in the 1980s.

Those dyes are no longer used, but I saw a TV ad from a lawyer that talked about the more recent dyes creating new problems that, as I recall, may be worse than arachnoiditis.

Thanks for posting this, it offers more encouragement for my upcoming trial...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote