View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 01:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Need Evidence That Pain Meds WILL work for MS Pain

Hi Again to All! I wrote in October asking to get help or advice for my brother's pain from both MS and L4-5 Disc problems. We saw 4 different doctors and either nothing they did helped or they did nothing. My brother is now back with his original doctor who said he needed two weeks to do research about what might work for my brother's pain. Prior to that he gave him 24 hour Morphine Sulfate, which 1) gave my brother instant "clinical depression"; 2) didn't help because his pain varies wildly from time of day, always getting much worse at night, and this so-called 24 hour stuff doesn't last 24 hours OR deliver the same amount of med over that time. Figure this out: Next he gave him Darvocet which I thought they stopped prescribing in the 60's. Obviously this did nothing for him. Anyway, with his getting worse and worse and because of the stress from the pain and lack of treatment, he had an exacerbation. I know he shouldn't have done this, but this lovely woman in his MS group gave him some 15mg oxycodones to try to see what would happen. With the very first one, his pain was literally cut by more than half AND he felt great mental relief and additional energy!?? He played around with the few pills he had, and discovered that around 25 mg. took enough of the pain away for about 5 hours that he almost felt normal. I can testify. It was like a miracle! I had my brother back! Amazing. We both feel very guilty about this; not the types to take meds not prescribed by a doctor, and I was VERY upset with him when I found out. BUT we are talking about his feeling like his body from the waist down is always submerged in boiling oil without any meds. As I said before he has tried every non-opiod med for MS without any significant change. He is or was on Lyrica, baclafen, neurontin, etc., not to mention alternative therapies such as PT, acupuncture, imaging, yoga, etc. He has tried them ALL in good faith. I think his doc wants to help him but doesn't know how and is getting the standard advice from the MS Web site and talking to other doctors that either MS patients don't feel pain or opiates don't help MS pain, or even that opiates make MS worse. I have been on the Internet for literally hundreds of hours for the past year reading articles, and recently to find a bunch to send to his doctor. (By the way, I found one, a medical study that showed that oxycodone not only improved pain control of MS but seemed to improve the MS itself!. Unfortunately, stupid me, I didn't bookmark it and cannot find it again. Did anyone out there read this study?) So...we obviously cannot tell his doc about the oxycodone. I thought if anyone out there could refer me to a good article or could suggest info that would lead his doctor to prescribing this, or just had some kind of advice or testimonial, we might get somewhere. I am stupified that the doctor went from morphine to darvon. (I am trying to get the little faces in here but get a colon with the words instead, hummm). How can you tell a doctor you know what will work? LOL. Also, I think any doctor not associated with a pain clinic would have a heart attack at prescribing that much opiate of any kind. One final note, my brother could go to a pain clinic BUT it is a good distance away and it will takes months and many, many protocols before they will even consider IF they will take him on as a patient. So while he I feel he should go there anyway, I do see why he wants to stay with is doc (who he LOVES) and not have to drive 50 miles to the PC. Also, it is often hard if not impossible for him to drive and he has had to cancel two appts. with them because I had to teach during the time he had the appts. and he couldn't drive. Well-- enough. No one will read this far. Please help if you can. I know many of you understand this horrific pain, but I know the doctors he has seen think he is just a drug addict seeking legal access to meds, and they are filtering this back to his doc. I KNOW he is not seeking drugs for thrills, and has NO experience with opiates EVER. He just needs help with pain. Please, anyone out there who can help???? Miranda
Miranda Arden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote