View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 10:01 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi again Sandra,

A common story about med students is that many of them read about a disease, see something that sounds similar to something going on with them, and decide they're about to die.

I'm not saying thats whats happening with you, but I suggest that you don't painc based on what you read here; these symptoms are found in many different sorts of neurological dysfunctions. Talk to your doc and see what he/she has to say (assuming you trust your doc and never get the feeling you're getting a brush-off).

The worst pain of my arachnoiditis is across my lower back and is difficult to describe; the best I can come up with is that it feels like someone made a small ridge of sand and folded a layer of muscle over it. A gritty tube about the size of a straw that causes a pain that I just can't deal with. Oxycodone keeps it under control, but if nothing did, I'd probably pull the plug. It's that awful.

I also have what others describe as "twinklers" (small bursts of electrical-like burning that can last several hours), and "sparklers" (like twinklers, but much more intense). The docs don't know whether the arachnoiditis or other nerve damage causes the pain, weakness and atrophy in my legs.

I never suffered any bowel, bladder or sexual dysfunction, but the latter really doesn't matter because my back won't let me have any fun anyway.

MRIs can usually identify arachnoiditis, but they're really only necessary if other neurological exams haven't already excluded it as a possibility.

I won't say don't worry, but try not to let it overwhelm you. Talk to your doc and get a neurological consult if she/he thinks it could be useful...Vic

The great end of life is not knowldege but action. T. H. Huxley

When in doubt, ask: What would Jimmy Buffett do?

email: :
Vicc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote