View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 12:36 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ivig..I am not sure why. I know it is not approved for ms in Canada. But either is Novantrone, it is used off label. I suspect it is economic. Ivig is very very expensive and in short supply. Because its an IV drug it falls under OHIP(or provincial health care plans). They would have to have pretty good data showing efficacy before they will approve it. A pile of us on IVIG would strain the system.

I had an online conversation with MArk Freedman about it 4 years ago and he was hopeful a form of IVIg was going to have a clinical trial in Canada, but never heard any more about it.

I asked my neuro to try Ivig, but he stated there was a study coming out that refuted its effectiveness, so no go. I do beleive they are trying it on pediatric ms patients instead of steroids though.

I am not sure at this point whether i will qualify for tysabri. It depends on whether or not i have a flare in the next year. No flare this year-you would think that would be good news-but its not really. No flare in 2 years means likely secondary progressive rather than relapsing progressive. Relapsing progressive would mean i might mean tysabri criteria. However, i seem prone to infections anyway, so probably not a great choice.
dayle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote