Thread: kitten declawed
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Corky.

I was always dead set against having cats declawed. I'm still not very encouraged by it.

However...when I bought new furniture 5 years ago (and it cost me a pretty penny), my newly adopted feral cat was ferocious with her claws. She immediately went for the furniture. Very much unlike my other cats who all like the scratch posts.

She was also vicious towards one of the other cats, snatching at the other with her claws at every turn. So, I made the decision to have her front paws declawed when I had her spayed.

I felt HORRIBLE afterwards. Her pitties looked awful and she acted like the felt awful.

But, she did swiftly heal. She still paws at the furniture like she's scratching it. She does NOT like to have her front paws messed with at all. I miss being able to rub her littles toes like I do the other cats.

Now I have a new baby, born February 14, and she claws anything in sight. Big sigh. I just don't know if I have it in me again to do that.

But...Annie, my declawed cat, is loving and has fun and plays right along with the others, so she must be okay. I hate facing the decision, again, to declaw or not to declaw.

My understanding is that those claw covers don't stay on, at least not for very long, but I may check into that. There is NO WAY I want to go and look it up on the internet. I already know what they do to the cats and don't want to see it first hand.

Good luck with your decision.

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote