View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 12:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have been very confused about which oils are "good" and which are "bad". One thing I have noticed is that it's difficult to buy oils that are not rancid. DH and I have been buying oils in small quantities now so that they do not go rancid, and refrigerating the ones that don't solidify at cold temperatures. We have become very sensitive to the smell of rancid oil. It helps that DH is a chemist! I have been known to return bottles of oil if I buy them and they smell rancid. I have had this problem with canola and grapeseed oil.

The only oils I use now are olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee. Because of my various food sensitivities, I can't use the nut oils. I've read both sides of canola oil being good and bad, but just decided to stop using it because I like ghee and coconut oil in it's place. The smoke point of ghee is higher than butter, at about 375 degrees. Ghee is pretty much 100% fat with the water and milk solids of butter removed, so I'm ok to have it even though I'm dairy free.

Here is a web site with smoke points in both Fahrenheit and celsius:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/SmokePointOil.htm

Claire