Old 11-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
mrsd knows i'm a BIG fan of SAMe. unfortunalty due to finances i had to go off of it for a few months. cheri, remember how much pain i was having in my back? now i am teaching the beginner yogo classes! i do take more than the regular dose, but since i had some liver issues a few years ago, that is what my dr reccomended.

i know it helps my mood too. which also helps in my pain tolorence. (which i do have a very high one) but when even a tad bit of depression hits, it seems to make the pain even worse.

(mrsd...can i take 5htp for mood with the SAMe?)

Well, I am glad your back is better, curious!

Considering how terrible MY xrays are, my doctor is amazed that I don't have that much pain either. I credit the SAMe for that.

Now that l-tryptophan is back, it is less expensive, and I think better to use.
I never liked 5-htp. I bought NOW brand tryptophan and use it in conjunction now with my light visor. I find that 500mg is very strong for me, so I only use it twice a week or so. This I only do when the days get short, however.
Without the visor I get stiff/sore, grumpy and take too many long naps.
With the visor...I am totally different.
Take the tryptophan before bedtime, on an empty stomach or with a little sweet (like a few gummie bears or gummi Life Savers)...this releases insulin which pushes competing amino acids into the muscles and lets tryptophan cross the blood brain barrier better. I find even low dose tryptophan very strong for me. Really makes me sleep. I don't know how you will react to it.

To make serotonin, you need tryptophan as precursor substrate and B6 as cofactor.
The SAMe donates the methyl group. So they all have specific separate jobs in the sequence.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 11-14-2007 at 07:51 AM. Reason: fixing spelling
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote