View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 02:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Type 1 diabetes

My apologies if this has already been posted here. Just received this in a newsletter from NOW:

Quote:
Intake of Omega-3 Fatty Acids May Delay Onset of Type I Diabetes

Abstracted by Susan Sweeny Johnson, PhD, Biochem, October 11, 2007, from Jill M. Norris, MPH, PhD; Xiang Yin, MD, MS; Molly M. Lamb, BA; Katherine Barriga, MSPH; Jennifer Seifert, BS; Michelle Hoffman, RN; Heather D. Orton, MS; Anna E. Barón, PhD; Michael Clare-Salzler, MD; H. Peter Chase, MD; Nancy J. Szabo, PhD; Henry Erlich, MD, PhD; George S. Eisenbarth, MD, PhD; Marian Rewers, MD, PhD , “Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Intake and Islet Autoimmunity in Children at Increased Risk for Type 1 Diabetes”, JAMA. 2007;298:1420-1428.

Type I diabetes mellitus (also know as juvenile diabetes) is an autoimmune disease in which the body’s immune system attacks and destroys islet cells in the pancreas which produce insulin. Although there is a genetic predisposition for the disease, environmental factors also appear to play a role in determining how early in life the autoimmune process begins and how much time passes between the onset of the first autoimmune response and the diagnosis of Type I diabetes when the islet cells are no longer producing insulin.

Studies suggest that early in the progress of the disease, inflammation and the activation of scavenger cells called macrophages by compounds that also induce inflammation may be important1. Since omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to have an anti-inflammatory effect(2, 3, 4, 5) while omega-6 fatty acids have a pro-inflammatory effect5, this study looked at the intake of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in children one to six years old who were genetically at risk for diabetes type I.

In this study, 1770 children were assessed using a food questionnaire given to their parents to determine their average intake of different fatty acids and vitamin D. In addition, the fatty acid composition of their red blood cell membranes was assessed which reflects the actual intake of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. In order to determine onset of the autoimmune component of diabetes type I, blood samples were taken initially and then yearly to detect the presence any of three types of autoantibodies typically present in pre-diabetes type I. If any of the antibodies were detected, the patient’s blood was tested every 3 to 6 months after that. Patients were considered positive for islet autoimmunity (IA), pre-diabetes type I, if the presence of autoantibodies occurred for two tests in a row or if the patient was diagnosed with diabetes type I.

Out of the 1770 patients, 58 developed IA. Statistical analysis showed that the risk of IA was significantly lower in children with higher intakes of omega-3 fatty acids (hazard ratio = 0.45, p=0.04). Also, in support of this result, higher omega-3 fatty acid content of patient red blood cell membranes correlated with lower risk of IA (hazard ratio = 0.63, p=0.03). Neither total omega-6 fatty acid intake nor vitamin D lntake correlated significantly with IA risk.

The average daily intake of omega-3’s during this study was 1.2 g per day, omega-6 was 10.8 g per day, and vitamin D was 400 IU per day. No numbers were given for the highest intake of omega-3.

About 7% of the US population has some form of diabetes. Type I comprises 5-10% of all diagnosed cases(6, 7). Direct medical costs from all types total $92 billion annually8. Using natural products to delay onset of Type I diabetes would save significant governmental and private dollars.

REFERENCES:

1 Chase HP, Cooper S, Osberg I, et al. Elevated C-reactive protein levels in the development of type 1 diabetes. Diabetes. 2004;53(10):2569-2573.

2 Calder PC. Polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation, and immunity. Lipids. 2001;36(9):1007-1024.

3 De Caterina R, Madonna R, Massaro M. Effects of omega-3 fatty acids on cytokines and adhesion molecules. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2004;6(6):485-491.

4 Serhan CN. Resolution phase of inflammation: novel endogenous anti-inflammatory and proresolving lipid mediators and pathways. Annu Rev Immunol. 2007;25:101-137.

5 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...t=AbstractPlus

6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus

7 http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pub...cs/index.htm#7

8 http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pub...s/index.htm#14

rose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote