View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 05:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Worst diagnosis day, but still a funny ditty how it happened.

First off, let me start by saying that I am so very very sorry for everything that everyone has had to suffer from and through to get a diagnosis. We were really lucky that my ACM was diagnosed as early as it was after symptoms began to become troublesome.

Secondly, let me state for the record, that I absolutely ADORE my neurologist. He's competent, has a great bedside manner, listens, and above all else, he's extremely easy to talk to in general. However, he has an unusual quirky sense of humor with patients who have "anxiety issues". Least, I have anxiety issues personally, and his sense of humor and joking always served to relieve me of some of the stress during appointments and consultations.

Ok, the story.... I was on my way to the "decision day" appt. with my neuro. To consult about the results of a blood test, an NCV, an EMG and a Head and Cervical MRI. Hubby and I were joking on the 45 minute drive (we find relief in humor, its strange, but it works) about how they were probably gonna wind up finding some hereto unknown disorder, that they would end up naming after me and there would be text cases and what not.

We get to the appointment, and the neuro comes in the exam room, sits down and opens my file. "Well" he says, "I have some good news, and I've got some bad news."

Hubby and I just kinda prepared ourselves. We'd been through possible dx's of possible MS, possible Parkensons, possible Carpal Tunnel, possible Lou Gherigs, possible Alzheimers, possible arthritis, etc. However, what we got was totally unexpected.

Neuro continues after a dramatic pause.... "The good news is that the test results came up negative for Parkensons. However, the bad news is that your brain is..... FALLING OUT!"

Ok, at this point I'm in shock, about 30 seconds later, hubby literally falls out of his chair laughing almost to the point of hysteria. I have mental flashes of cartoon characters getting hit with an anvil or mallet or something, and their brain just pops out on the ground in front of them, and admittedly, I began laughing myself. It was just too rediculous to even fathom, ya know? 30 year old women, who have never been hospitalized for anything other than a normal delivery (havent even had a single broken bone, still had my tonsils, gall bladder, appendix, everything), they just dont have their brains FALLING OUT!!!!

After a few minutes of hesterics on our part, we realize that the neuro is just sitting there calm as a cucumber, with this entirely too serious look on his face. Course, knowing his bedside manner, this is a wake up call.... definately NOT a joking matter. He plops up some of the MRI films, and circles the parts of the cerebral tonsils hanging, then draws an oval showing the normal posistioning. Hubby and I realize, as perposterous as it sounded, the films didnt lie, and parts of my brain were definately "fallen and couldnt get up".

So that's my little ditty. I hope God blesses each and everyone of you all.

Dawn
MorningBroken is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote