Thread: Careers
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 01:07 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I would never want to tell anyone why I think their career aspirations may not be suitable or compatible with TOS - mostly because again we have so many different levels of disability, causes of TOS, etc. I have all of my own fears and beliefs that neurogenic TOS is CAUSED by computer use, (previous overuse), and that any career in that area (if one's TOS was caused in any part by computer use) would be a big mistake. I am shocked to see some of the careers listed that not only include a lot of computer work, and the "gargoyle" stance that we are to avoid, but then a lot of these careers listed require "fine finger or hand manipulation" which again I understand from my reading and my own body we are to avoid and may cause additional nerve damage. But it is NOT for ME, to say. And I really mean that - it's up to individuals to really know their body and go with their gut instinct.

ANY movement of my body causes inflammation which in turn causes pain to my right extremity which then causes me to be out of commission for a period of time...so ANY career suggestions are out for me right now. I'm totally disabled. I've accepted it. For those who have to accept this, it can be extremely difficult, and a real problem for depression. Most of the neurogenic TOSers "got it" by overwork to begin with, so we are real "Type A's", and this whole concept of never working again can be so hard...

But again, if one of my TOSer buddies dreams of going back to school, or doing this or that, I am going to be 100% supportive unless and until they tell me otherwise.

Voc Rehab counselors make their living from taking what abilities one does have, and testing for any natural inclinations and matching them to a career. If anyone can tolerate a VR program, I'd really suggest that they investigate that avenue for a "good fit" possiblity.

Again - I want to stress that everyone is so different, that I just want to be supportive of TOSers efforts' to try to get back any bit of life they can.

God bless you all in your endeavors, and God comfort those (like me) who are (for now anyways) stuck with no career hopes whatsoever.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote