Thread: Drs. response
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 09:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Heh, it is totally understandable to be emotional about all of what you are going through. I was told I have CRPS over a month ago and have all sorts of new things going on, like all the nerves in my body have gone haywire. I can't help but think, what's next? How much more can I take? Why isn't my husband having a similar response to mine about this whole thing? Does he really understand? Etc.etc.etc. I KNOW.

With the husband. When I first told him it was like, well we can get through this. He wasn't really listening. So, I started to tell him a little bit at a time about things. My pain and potential long-term effects. The 'Did you know' about things related to CRPS. I found it helps to give him small doses at a time, plus he is a little more inquisitive about it now, same with my mom. She had the well, "mind over matter" is all it will take attitude about this. I find explaining to people what the worst case senario is or what other people can go through, similar or worse than you, helps. Sometimes it isn't until after I have said something to someone that it starts to sink into my own thoughts that I could be that person if I don't get the right treatment, if I don't educate myself or know that those treating me understand what they are dealing with. I am very protective about what happens to me. I want to get better, I want the right and good treatment. I break down all the time and get flaired up because of it but then I try teaching myself new ways of trying to calm down. It also keeps me grounded on what I need to remain focused on, getting better.

As for swelling. That is the most common symptom of RSD. I have very little of it, whatever you do, do not apply ice directly to your nerves. The cold will help reduce swelling but little is know why the swelling occurs the way it does with RSD. If it does become excessive they can drain it.

Insofar as feeling and not feeling. There are different types of nerves for different things. I really don't remember them all, there are four. Ask your doctor to explain. I know there is the vasomotor (movement), the sensory (touch, feel), temperature, and ? I can't remember but anyway. I don't have nerves in part of my foot. I can feel some things but not most things. If I stub my toe I react with an owie but really it didn't hurt. Yet, when I had my nerves cut out it was all the other tissues around it that hurt. This may be similar to what you are experiencing. You don't have the feelings of the nerves but you do of the muscles. They can feel like the same thing sometimes. Pain can be experienced in many different ways in an area and swelling can be caused by different things, though pain and swelling are common to RSD. Both of which is not very well understood by anyone. Kind of like phantom pain. The body feels the limb is still there and agonizes over it even though there isn't really anything there to agonize over anymore. Some research says because nerves send messages to the brain, which is then reinterpreted to whichever sensation or movement the signal says, over an extended period of time the brain continues to think the messages are being send, even though they are not. So, sometimes the brain becomes a broken record skipping on the same spot and has to be retrained, if it can be, to skip past that spot and move onto the next song. That's my understanding of what I have read. Anyway, rambling......

If you feel like you need the confidence of a psychologist, I would seek one out. If you think you need a second opinion, get one. Ask tons of questions. Don't feel too pressured to be past something or over something too soon. Things are what they are and you have to decide what things are really worth getting worked up over or those things you can effect. Otherwise, I wouldn't risk the flair ups over it. Besides you already have too much on your plate. Please, don't take these as harsh words. They are meant to help and be supportive. I sometimes am not the best with writing responses and online.

Hope you can find a happy place every once in a while....TTL J.
Kyzyl363 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote