Thread: Visit to my GP
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 11:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Visit to GP/ Lyrica

I've been on Lyrica for about 4 months (I think, I can't remember exactly..that's the Lyrica). I used to be really proud of my great memory, now I struggle with remembering alot of the time. I would say short term memory.. and just plain loss of ability to concentrate (except I seem to be able to read the internet every night trying to figure out what's wrong with me). I forget where I'm driving to and I make mistakes at work (luckily I'm the one who catches them). I THINK I''m sometimes using the wrong words but I never know if I am... When I stop talking and people are just looking at me, I wondered exactly what I said. It may be fine, I just have no confidence... or I may really not be making sense. I am more emotional. I quit my job effective end of year and I'm sure it was a combination of drug, pain and loopiness... maybe depression? I am going to try to get better before I even think about working again. Unfortunately, I've not been diagnosed with anything and have probably no chance in hell of proving disability.

I look perfectly fine, I mostly sound perfectly fine. I could have something really horrible like cancer or anything besides "neuropathy"... so I should be able to work and stop acting like its debilitating. I feel like a hypochondriac but I've never been one before...

The lyrica made me feel euphoric, almost "high" the first few days. I wasn't really "high" (as in drunk). I was just feeling "lighter" because I wasn't in so much pain. I could climb the stairs normally and not drag myself up to bed... like each leg weighed 500 pounds.

Now it mostly makes me sleepier. I consider that OK compared to the burning pain; stiffness etc. I have taken Ambien for years because of chronic insomnia (I never slept for days on end) so I'm thinkng I may cut my pills in half now and see if I can get by on less of that at least.

I started on one Lyrica at night but by mid morning I was burning all over with the neuropathy. Now I take one am and one pm. It still wears off late in the day. I tell myself that I can deal with that... I don't want to be loopier. it keeps me realizing I really am sick. I get so I think my burning must not really be that bad until the Lyrica wears off and I feel so darn sick again. Sometimes I don't take my morning dose on purpose because I want to see if I'm better. I realize just how sick I was to begin with. I keep hoping it will go away but of course, all I'm doing is masking the pain.

So far I havent' gained weight but I've been dieting religiously since starting it. I am obese and don't need to gain any weight.

I am already "dependent" (not addicted) on Lyrica and dread the withdrawals; and would hate to try something else in case it doesn't work. I can't take OTC pain medication because I have slightly elevated liver enzymes (Doc thinks it was the 1 month I was on Celebrex). The Lyrica does work... I am worried that I will get "used' to the dosage and have to have it increased.

its expensive too. I thought about asking for neurontin but, again, I feel so much relief, its hard to take the chance. My PC just handed out an RX for Lyrica without any real tests for what was causing the pain. (can you believe that?) She thinks I have fibro, but I'm not so sure. I have had some test since, but only more questions, no answers. Finally got referred to a rheumotologist
MaryMc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote