View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Hi Bonnie

Unfortunately, there are those nuerologists out there that refuse to be educated about the benefits vs risk ratio of Tysabri. They only hear the bad and it sticks with them forever. I am sorry you have run into one of them. I have run into them at the conferences I have attended. Sometimes, once they get the facts and hear it from their colleagues, they usually change their minds.

There are about 17,000 patients who have been on Tysabri with no cases of PML since its re-release in 2006 (that was the reason it was pulled from the market shortly after its initial release in 2004).

As has been suggested already, get the information you need from several different sources (I can provide several for you if you need them) and go back to this doctor and ask "why am I not a candidate for Tysabri?"

If you have a relapsing form of MS and meet the other criteria, then why not give it a try? As with any of the current disease modifying medications, some work for some patients and some don't work. But you will never know if you are not given the opportunity to try.

Being your own best advocate is the only way to get the treatment that is best for you. Education is power.

Good luck with your doc, and don't be afraid to find one that will work with you. There is a number you can call to find a neurologist that is TOUCH certified in your area (able to prescribe Tysabri).

And no, I am not on Tysabri...just well informed and an advocate for MS Patients.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote