View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Post Cymbalta

Is difficult to taper down. The Eli Lilly company "conveniently" did not make dosage forms to enable this. Cymbalta only comes in 20mg, 30mg and 60mg doses. After 20mg there is nothing. I have read on the net many horror stories about it. You can Google it... Cymbalta taper

A drug similar to Cymbalta...Effexor, has tablet forms that allow for more customized tapering. I have seen and participated in this type of taper.
It costs the patient alot money... mixing the doses, more copays, etc. And it takes time. Weeks in fact.

A pharmacologist is not a pharmacist. A pharmacologist is not typically licensed by the state to dispense drugs to the public..unless he/she has a dual degree and has taken the licensing boards. A pharmacologist is a PhD research scientist who designs and develops drugs. And legally most pharmacists cannot design
tapers for patients. That is the doctor's responsibility. A pharmacist may suggest to you, to demand a taper, if your doctor does not offer it to you.
(which happens more than you would think).

There are psychopharmacologist/MDs who supposedly know more about psychotropic drugs and how to use them. But they are not common, and may be only found in a teaching hospital situation.

There are some Pharm D's who work in nursing home and hospital settings who can recommend (but not prescribe) therapy, oversee Coumadin, Chemo, and radio isotope use. But in the end the doctor must order what is recommended, and in my experience, the recommendations are often ignored! (yes, this is true and frightening).

I take exception to 5% needing a taper. In my experience EVERYONE needs a taper of SSRI/SSNI drugs, for comfort and quality of life. If one is only on Cymbalta for a month or so..that is different. But most patients use this for chronic pain/fibro conditions and have been on it for a while. Compassionate medicine takes a careful taper into consideration.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote