View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Well--

--usuall, allergists and rheumatologists are the doctors that specialize in immune function, but in my experience, many allergists and rheumatologists actually have fairly narrow foci. The former tend to look primarily at the IgE, or possibly, IgG immune complex reactins to outside substnaces; the latter seem to focus on primarily the vasculitic diseases associated with the anit-nuclear antibody (ANA) and its variants.

Not many of them are familiar with a lot of the strange autoantibodies to nerve components, mnay of which have only been identified in the last twnety years or so. But, of course, not many neurologists (except those who specialize in these areas, such as Latov's group) are that familiar with them, either.

I think the way to go is to look into particular doctors/practices, and not to worry about the specialty--good doctors often are highly cross-disciplinary, anyway. Problem is, I'm not familiar with anybody with autoimmune neural expertise in your corner of the world--but I wonder if any of the neuropathy support groups there would be.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote