Thread: Thyroid seminar
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 05:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Anne,

I am taking a compounded T3, Sustained Release, 7.5 mcg, 2 x a day. While I have been treated with T4 medication for > 10 years, I continued to have symptoms, cold, constipation, dry skin, etc. While I definitely improved on the GF diet, all of the symptoms did not go away. Now that
I am on the T3, my energy level has improved and I am feeling warmer. I will be having repeat bloodwork next week, since I have only been on the T3 for 6 weeks. My free T3 level was low (226 pg/dl - nl 230-420pg/dl), even though I was taking medication as directed and staying away from foods which could interfere with absorption, eg. nothing containing calcium within 4 hours of taking medication, taking medication on empty stomach with plenty of water. According to pharmaceutical company's prescribing information, T4 medication is absorbed in the small intestine which leads me to surmise that damage from GS could lead to less than optimal absorption of T4 medication.

T4 medications include Synthroid, Levoxyl, Unithroid, Levothroid - not sure if I have included all of them.

I am really pleased that I have not had any problems with the T3, ie. not excessive sweating, no palpitations, no anxiety, or other symptoms which might be signs of overmedication. I do have Hashimoto's (autoimmune) thyroiditis with a TPO antibody level of ? 1000 (nl <35), and years ago when an antimicrosomal antibody test was done my level was > 25,000, with that normal range being <100. I wonder if all my years of gluten ingestion was a contributing factor.

Marilyn

Leslie, Thanks for the great thyroid information. I have learned a great deal from Mary Shomon's site.

Marilyn
canoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote