Thread: Forum Biz
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 05:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I will remain relatively quiet on this subject. From my understanding - Recipes are not subject to copyright laws. The author's story or any text built around the recipe is subject. Generally giving credit to the original author of the recipe is sufficient.

Here is info I've run across. I know I have more, but I'd have to "cache hunt" for it

http://www.writersdigest.com/qadispl...ndarycategory=
Quote:
Q&A: Copyrights for Cookbooks
Q. I am in the process of compiling a cookbook using recipes I have collected from health books and healthy living magazines. I have kept all the information from where each recipe came from, but what I need to know is if I need to ask permission from every cookbook and magazine or if I give them credit would that be sufficient?
--Kellie Pardo
A. The basic answer is that you do not need permission to reprint a recipe. Under copyright law, "mere listings of ingredients are not subject to copyright protection." (See Copyright Law.) However, any unique expression connected to the recipe, such as accompanying photos, anecdotes, cooking tips or descriptions, is protected and you must get permission from the copyright owner. Also be aware that recipe compilations (or cookbooks) are protected by law, even if the protection does not extend to any single recipe.
--Jane Friedman, managing editor, Writer's Digest

I found this from http://www.recipezaar.com/help/copyright.zsp
Quote:
Copyright and Recipes
Is any recipe truly unique? What if my recipe originated from a cookbook or magazine? Can I still post it?

The gist on recipe copyrights: A list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted. An idea, concept, system or method of doing something cannot be copyrighted either. Only the the substantially literary expression associated with a recipe can be copyrighted. To the extent there are only so many ways to say "boil water" it is not creative, or therefore protected as copyright. If the recipe directions or description are a wholesale copy of another person's creative literary expression, they are in violation of copyright. So even if the recipe originated elsewhere, even if the ingredients are still the same, if the directions and description of your posted recipe are in your own words, it is your recipe.

I think the sub-forums would be a good idea. However - it'd want to visit as site to see how the sub-forums act and work [it's been awhile since I've seen it and played with it].

“We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa
aklap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote