View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymay View Post
I'm not looking forward to the holidays either, Joyce. Seems like w/my parent's both gone now, there really isn't a "tradition" anymore. It will just be my DH, DS and me. But, that's OK.... I know I have alot to be thankful for. It's just gonna be extra hard w/o my Mom this yr.

I hope you all have a good one and that you get to spend it w/those you love.

DM - I know it's going to be tough for you. I am thinking of you

When DH was in the Navy, we never came home for Thanksgiving. He saved his leave for Christmas and hunting (with his family).

It was fun to be the hostess for the squadron bachelors and/or anyone else who didn't go home. Sometimes we would have 5 people for Thanksgiving and sometimes we would have 15. We would never know. But we would have a great time. Most times, it would be the bachelors and their idea of cooking was stopping at the grocery store and picking up beer and chips!

That was fine with me. I loved cooking. I had so much fun making the whole meal for everyone. I actually miss it. I would spend the week getting ready for the whole day. Now, every year is different. No tradition, no nothing. I have favorite foods I like, but others don't care for them, so sometimes I just fix them for me.

When he first retired from the Navy, the adjustment was tough. We were like fish out of water. We didn't know where we were going to live and we didn't have an instant family with the new company he went to work for...no comraderie at all. After 14 years of living here, we have friends, but it still isn't the same as when he was in the military. I don't like spending Thanksgiving with his family. They are too regimented...you do it this way, period. It's much more fun going to our friends' cabin and just winging it!

I understand how you feel DM, and Chris. We all have a lot to be thankful for - our health, our friends, and some of you have great family to be thankful for. Cherish what you have. You never know what's around the next corner. Live each moment for what it has to offer.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone....I truly mean that.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote