View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 09:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, and welcome, but sorry you've had to find your way here as it means you're in pain.

From you're description, you probably don't have "classic" Trigeminal Neuralgia or TN1 as that is identified by intense, shocklike pain that in most cases comes in short attacks, especially at the onset of the condition. More likely your pain is a result of the dental work, now classified as "Trigeminal Neuropathic Pain" or TNP, defined as " facial pain resulting from unintentional injury to the trigeminal system from facial trauma, oral surgery, ear, nose and throat (ENT) surgery, root injury from posterior fossa or skull base surgery, stroke, etc." See the following links for Oregon Health and Sciences University's New Classification of Facial Pain and Diagnostic Questionnaire -

A new classification for facial pain

TN - Diagnostic Questionnaire

The neurontin is really pretty mild in terms of side effects, but does take a while to get used to. It actually may help determine the cause of your pain - i.e. nerve or bone. If your pain is neuropathic, the neurontin should help but may take a while to get to a therapeutic dose so titrate up slowly so you get used to the fogginess a little at a time. Your body will acclimate over time. If it doesn't help, then you need to keep looking for the cause. But do give it a chance as it may take a while to get your blood levels up to the right level to overcome the pain. Either way, your condition may improve with time and getting the pain under control with medication may help to calm the nerve down if it's not permanently damaged.

I'm not a doctor or dentist, just giving you my experience as I had face pain after dental work, but completely different circumstances so it may or may not be relevant to your situation, but find a neurologist or facial pain center that works with face pain and TN patients so that they can help you sort things out.

There are some introductory "sticky" threads at the top of the TN forum - the Tips for Newcomers will direct you to the Trigeminal Neuralgia Association's (TNA) website where you can order the book Striking Back: The Trigeminal Neuralgia and Face Pain Handbook. Be sure to order it from the TNA and get the 2004 edition. It has a lot of information and while it is mostly about classic Trigeminal Neuralgia, it will inform you about that and other face pain so you can help the doctors determine what your condition is. Take it with you to your appointments - many doctors just don't see TN and aren't familiar with it or its variations - hence the confusion in your diagnosis. Many think that TN is classic TN and that only. There are other varieties, so find a doctor who is familiar with them. The TNA may be able to help you find one.

Best to you - good luck and keep us posted.

Jean
Jeanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote